Sunday, July 12, 2009

2 Games

I caught the end of the Cardinals Cubs game yesterday and with Milk away from the known world for a few days at TEC I thought I'd make a few comments from what I saw. And thanks to MLB.com and my All-Star voting, I'm able to watch the Sox for a few days with a free trial of MLBTV. It's pretty sweet. So I watched my boys in a wild one last night!

When I turned to Cards game on the Cubs were up 5-1 with Marmol was pitching and he was doing all he could to give that lead up. Finally, after letting a run in and loading the bases, Gregg came in and got the win. It was an interesting end to the game and the Cards fought hard. The loss let the Cards lead drop to two games.

The Sox, however, with the win, moved their lead up to two games with a Spankees loss earlier in the day.
The bats came alive in a big way last night jumping out early to a 9-0 lead. Smoltz looked like his old self and the Sox looked to be coasting to the win. That was until the bullpen took over and allowed the Royals to chip away at the lead. By the 8th inning the score was 12-9 and Paplebon warming up. Luckily in the bottom of the 8th we tacked on a few more and Paps got to sit down.

The bullpen sure didn't look pretty and that has to worry me going into the allstar break. But according to the announcers (Dennis Eckersly being one of them), the pen has been going through a tough spurt right now and that is to be expected. Let's hope he's right.

One of the brightest signs from last night heading into the break had to be Big Papi. His bat was alive... I'm watching the game as I write this and David was just named the Sox player of the week, go figure... anyway, Big Papi hit his 1,000th career home run (12th of the season). Way to go Papi!

So things look to be going well heading into the break. Sox won last night, are winning 3-0 in the 4th today and its a beautiful day in Boston.

FYI, the Cards are losing again in Chicago but I think its early still.

No comments:

Post a Comment