Friday, July 10, 2009

Red Sox

As we head into the All Star break you would think we would be in a good spot. We've got 6, count them 6 All Stars headed to the game in good ole St. Louis and the last time the Sox were in town in 04 things turned out alright for us. 
But, of course, with a Spankees (that's Yankees for you non-New Englanders) win and a Sox loss to the not so lowly Royals last night we have slid into a tie for the top spot in the American League East. 

With that said, let me pause for a moment and say how excited I am MILK has decided to journal the rest of the season with me. We're both big baseball fans and when it comes to Cards and Sox we're diehards. Go Sox!

So now, back to the team. It's been tough this year for me. Being away from the team and without cable I have to rely on the Sox website more than I would like. My friends back home say they like the feel and make up of this years team. And although we've won two world series this decade, I'm still not at ease with being in first place. I'm use to looking up at those darn spankees... and well, as of today we're tied for first place. Don't get me wrong. I want to win! I believe we will win! But to do it convincingly isn't the Sox style.  Just look at the 04 Sox. I'm reading a book right now about them and when the Sox made the trade to send Nomar to the Cubbies you would have thought the world was ending in Boston. According to the authors we didn't get anything back for him. Well, those two "nobodies" helped lead us to a World Championship. (Those nobodies were Orlando Cabrera of the A's and Doug Minchevich {that's not how you spell his name} of who knows where now).

This year isn't much difference. The team has certainly been filled with adversity. Dice-K dominated in the World Baseball Classic AGAIN, but only this time his arm has decided to fall off during the regular season. Our 100 million dollar boy has been sitting on the DL most of the season. Our other Big boy, or should I say Big Papi, hasn't looked like himself at all this season. When the first few months of the season went by with no home runs, even David Ortiz's Big Smile was wiped off his face. I'm happy to say that Big Papi hit his 10th, and 300th of his career home run last night. Looks like he's beginning to turn things around. Reigning MVP Dustin Pedroia has had a solid season, as has "The Greek God of Walks" Kevin YooooooouuuKalis, until recent injuries had slowed him down. My boy Jon Lester, cancer survivor and all around American boy, struggled mightily to begin the season, but has showed promised as of late. Only a few weeks ago he brought a perfect game into the 6th inning. Not bad for a guy who got smacked around his first 4 starts!
Our main stay has been Josh Beckett, having another All Star year and pitching like the Josh Beckett of old. That is a good sign, because when Beckett is on the Sox win. I don't mean just when he pitches either. When he wins the team usually roles and we can usually count on him heavily when it comes playoff time.
But the greatest treat, but not biggest surprise, has to come from one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE Red Sock players ever and that is league leader in wins mr. 42 year old TiMAY Wakefield. You have to love this man! He's throws a nasty nuckleball that when on NOBODY can hit and he combines that with a 77 mph fastball (possibly the slowest in the league) and a 70-75 mph change-up (you ask: is there a difference- apparently so). But this guy is what the Sox are all about. He's a man of the community, for years now he has been taking PAY CUTS to stay with the Sox, now signing 4 per year each year, and is a decision king. If you take a look at his record over the last few years you'll see he'll have 15 losses, but he'll also have 15-20 wins as well. And he's pretty good at keeping them even. If he only gets 10 wins in a season, you can be he only got 6-10 losses in the season. But not this year! He's holding steady at 3 losses and dominating with 11 wins! Best in the league! You go TiMAY!

But despite our success, we're still only tied with the Spankees, and well... that's how it should be. Tampa I will admit is a new kink in things... but lets face it, its the Rays! The Sox won't let last year happen again (as far as losing in the playoffs to Tampa). But I'm happy with where the Sox are at coming into the All Star break. Maybe its the defeatest in me, but I'll be happy with the Wild Card spot. We won the Division a couple years back, and the Spankees didn't make the playoff last year, so all in all, things aren't so bad. I don't have that crazy desire that I need to win the division each year... I'll take a World Series ring over a division title any day. 

Do I think the Sox can make the series this year? Heck yeah! Will it be tough? Of course! But that's what makes being a Sox fan so great. It totally reminds me of being a Catholic.... but I'll leave that for another blog. Do the Sox need one or two more players to win it all? Probably. I wouldn't mind seeing Dice-K healed up and throwing like last year, along with bring Lester back to form. We probably need another bat as well, but I don't know where we'd put him. Maybe an upgrade a short. (I hear Nomar wants back in Boston). We'll see where the season takes us. For now, I'll keep an eye on the standings and only hope, PRAY, we can hold onto first as we enter the break. I'll be watching the All Star game this year, hoping the Socks can play a role in bringing home field advantage to the American League.

Thanks for reading.  God bless, and talk to you soon.

Go Sox!

1 comment:

  1. Posted my first post on the cards.

    http://www.milk169.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete